Sunday, January 23, 2011

Investing

[more pics coming soon]

When I was little (23), I had a very good job that paid very well, and since it was in the early 2000s, expensive clothes reigned. [Thanks Carrie Bradshaw]. Everyone thought they needed $600 shoes and $1000 purses. I was no exception to that (sheepish). What I am glad about, though, are the pieces I chose when I laid down the cash.

First, I didn't have a lot of work-appropriate clothes when I first started out. I went to places like J.Crew for their button-downs to wear under my suits, although it took me a while to find ones that fit well at Hollister. Ann Taylor was my go-to for suits, and I actually still wear my first suit (c.2000) to this day. I still wear a lot of the clothes I bought from AT and J.Crew in the early 2000s but I had to have almost all of them tailored or taken in. To this day, I am wary on buying suiting because of the added expenses (plus I don't need any right now). I do have my eyes on a suit from Theory once I graduate next year, but I am already disappointed to hear their suiting is not lined!

Shoes were easier. My first pair of interview shoes were BCBGirls, and I think I actually gave them away within the last year. I was looking for them again recently and I was sad when I couldn't find them! I have never been a big shoe person--I am very picky about what I want them to look like and I don't have a problem saying no if a pair does not fulfill my needs. I decided that the 100mm black heel from Jimmy Choo was my ideal shoe. I also bought them in dark brown. Now that I am in my 30s, I sometimes wish that I had gone with the 85mm instead, but that shoe is so comfortable it doesn't really matter! I wear them all the time and have had them resoled quite a bit at my shoe guy in Chicago. When I bought them, they were only $445. If I had another $500 lying around (ha!) I would probably get the same black shoe in a 60mm heel.


Purses are another story. My first nice purse was a perfect black Coach Hamptons Demi my mom gave me for my 22nd birthday. Before that bag, I was more of a wallet-in-back-pocket kind of college girl. That was  perfect bag! Great size, great style, great price! I subsequently tracked down that bag and all its friends in all the classic colors I could find.


Later, I got into bigger bags which sometimes work against my frame/weight. I fell in love with this Marc Jacobs olive green/brown bag in 2005 (on sale at Neiman's for 50% off) and I still carry it although it weighs a TON from all that hardware! I usually just have my phone and wallet inside because it is soooo heavy!


I also love bright colored bags. Some of my favorites are my Dooney & Bourke bright orange bucket bag. I wish it had metal feet! The bottom scuffs if I am not careful.


And I have a beautiful jade green bag from the Kate Spade outlet in Houston and her ocean-blue clutch I could not resist. Oh I love these colors!! I love the lining. They can really make an outfit un-boring.

Coats are another tough area for shopping. Earlier this year, I needed a new raincoat. The town I live in has downpours like you wouldn't believe, but most of  the time it is just plain WINDY, making wearing dresses very difficult! I soon found the answer to my problem: a snug knee-length coat. For spring, summer and fall, I used to wear an old Old Navy trench from 2000 but the edges were frayed. I love the look of Burberry but there is no way I will ever spend $1000 on a coat. I thought London Fog did a great job on the classic trench, and I searched high and low for their double-breasted petite coat. It is harder to find than it looks! Every store was out of my size and I was so happy when I finally found it in both black and tan. I jumped on them! I think I got both for under $99, too. Very happy with both those pieces!

Winter coats are harder for me. I actually wear my snowboarding coat a lot in the winter, which is hardly fashionable. But I hate being cold and I tend to get to school/work before everyone else, so it is off before you know it. I have a long black coat from Casual Corner '03 that I wear, but it is not that warm, even being wool. I do wear it if I am super dressed up though and I just suffer.

Those are my most classic pieces that I am most proud of purchasing. Some were presents (thanks Ma!) but a lot of them I saved up for until I felt comfortable for the splurge, and I have ZERO regrets about these items! I love my clothes.

Ha now I will have to do a post about the items I DO regret buying! LOL luckily most of them were cheap.

1 comment:

  1. it's good to hear that you invested in some good pieces. i've also heard really great things about Theory but have yet to own anything from them.

    and thank you so much for the Hollister jeans tip on my blog! i had no idea that they had cute styles!

    cute and little
    come enter my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete