Saturday, January 22, 2011

Don't buy

Saturday. I am supposed to be revising an article but instead have been looking at J.Crew's 40% off sale/Free shipping on $100. Argh. I will refrain. It isn't that hard. It is annoying to see the things I have been waiting for (heather grey cashmere turtleneck sweater!!) go on sale so drastically. But I know J.Crew will make these items forever, and I have enough in my closet.

But if I WERE normally employed (non-GPTI salary) and had some extra money to burn, this is what I would buy:
  • Cashmere turtleneck sweater in Grey Heather $119+40%
  • Factory Always Striped cardigan in Navy 39+40% The contrasting stripes are great!
  • Always Perfect button-down in white $60 [reg price]. They stretch after a while, and I am on my 3rd one.
 And I am oddly attracted to:
  • A cashmere Henley in an unexplainable orange-red color called Cherise $99+40%. Not sure what the attraction is... Yes I do: it is all the bloggers wearing really bright skirts lately against the snow/grey skies, and the closest thing I have is a (dark & somber) maroon fluted skirt from Ann Taylor Loft '05.
Unfortunately, I just looked up how much I would be saving and the total cost would be about $167 down from $256. I want those items! But I am refraining. I have stuff to wear here. And $167 is groceries for a whole month, and gas, and if I spent that much at J.Crew, it would only be for three items. Yes, one is regularly priced at $158 , but I will not die if I don't have it. It would just be nice...

I have been really proud of myself for not spending hardly any money on clothes this school year, but I think I could do better. The only items I have bought were some neutral cardigans (on a drastic sale) from J.Crew in mid-October. It is harder to refrain from basics like sweaters or cardigans or white shirts because I can see where I would immediately wear them, or that having them would help me wear XYZ. Shoes are less of a problem. I used to buy a few pairs of shoes per season, but the only ones I have bought this school year were my running shoes (which I desperately needed) and the boots I found for $50. I am glad I already have what I need to get through most of the days.

I feel better about blowing off that J.Crew sale! I just need to get a grip sometimes.

UPDATE
Was just reading a blog post about not being able to find work after earning advanced degree...sobering! Now I am extra glad I refrained from that sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment